Tri- County Health Network’s Cavity Prevention Program
Skippy+ (Tri-County Health Network’s Cavity Prevention Program) is a school-based, oral health program serving children ages 0-18 throughout San Miguel, Ouray, Montrose & Delta counties twice every school year, since 2008.
We know that it is difficult for parents and guardians to arrange dental care for their children. Whether it’s lack of insurance, the cost of dental care, no transportation or you are unable to take the time off of work, Skippy+ is designed to reduce the burden associated with your child’s oral healthcare. With our advancement, Skippy+ brings the dental clinic to the child
Services include: An exam by a supervising dentist, cleanings, sealants, fluoride treatment, oral health exam, x-rays, dental hygiene instruction. intraoral imaging technology, and restorative care, including Interim therapeutic restoration and fillings if needed.
Signing up – Each fall, participating schools send a Skippy Consent Form home with every student. After a parent/guardian completes and returns the form to the school, their child is ready to attend the Skippy Fall and Spring clinics. Electronic forms are also available online (maybe insert link here).
Enroll Your Child!
Click here to complete a Skippy Consent Form and enroll your child.
Haga clic aquí para el formulario de consentimiento de Skippy.
What to Expect
Clinic day – A Skippy Navigator escorts each child from their classroom to the clinic room and in about 30 minutes your child will be back in class having received all the appropriate dental services.
Following up – Your child will come home with a “Skippy+” bag containing a toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and a form letting you know the outcome of their exam. Our team will also call the parent/guardian if any issues were found and help identify the best treatment option for their needs, including Skippy+ Restorative Day at their school.
Fall 2018 School Dates
- 9/17/18-9/19/18: Naturita Elementary School
- 9/24/18-9/25/18: Nucla Middle and High School
- 10/18/18-10/19/18: North Fork Montessori
- 10/22/18-10/23/18: Ridgway Secondary School
- 10/24/18-10/25/18: Ouray School
- 10/26/18 & 10/29/18-10/30/18: Ridgway Elementary School
- 11/2/18 & 11/5/18-11/7/18: Telluride Intermediate, Middle, & High School
- 11/8/18-11/9/18 & 11/12/18-11/13/18: Telluride Elementary School
- 11/27/18: Paradox Valley School
- 11/28/18-11/29/18: Norwood K-12 School
- Skippy is modeled from the successful ForsythKids “Comprehensive Caries Prevention Program” – a national model for improving oral health care in schools created by the Forsyth Institute, Boston.
- In 2011, Skippy received Colorado recognition by receiving the “Innovative School-Based Health Intervention” award from the Colorado Association of School-Based Healthcare out of 47 Colorado school-based healthcare centers.
- Since 2008, TCHNetwork has partnered with regional schools to provided more than 7,000 cavity prevention treatments to local children.
- For children who routinely attend Skippy+, we have been able to reduce and keep the percentage of children with untreated decay to 20%, 9% below the national average.
- No out of pocket cost to the parent or school!