The San Miguel Communities that Care Coalition is dedicated to bringing the diverse voices of our young adult population together to advocate for a healthy community for young people. CTC works to create safe, inclusive, welcoming and substance free spaces for our youth in schools and our community alike.
The CTC Philosophy
Communities that Care is a prevention model of community engagement and coalition building. It is an effective platform to organize our community, to assess the risk and protective factors facing our youth, and to implement a comprehensive community wide prevention plan. As an evidence-based program intended to give youth in our community a voice, CTC uses prevention science as its base, fostering healthy youth development, improving youth outcomes, and reducing problem behaviors. We want to bring youth into the conversation and advocate for a healthier community together.
What We’ve Achieved
Since the Coalition’s inception in 2017, our successes have included:
- Lobbying for and passing a Tobacco 21 law in Telluride
- Preventing the approval of Cannabis Social Consumption Rooms in Telluride
- Ensuring that the Telluride Parks & Recreation Master Plan identifies space for a youth center
- Creating youth middle and high school clubs in the Telluride R-1 School District
- Supporting our local youth in creating a temporary youth hangout in partnership with the Telluride Ski and Snowboard Club
- Supporting the Telluride School District’s efforts to create a district-wide Social Emotional Strategy
We want to continue to empowering our youth.
We still need to establish a permanent youth center in the community. We need to support the School District in implementing a comprehensive social emotional curriculum. We need to broaden membership in the Coalition so that it truly reflects our entire community.
Watch this video to learn more about what the coalition has accomplished since its inception in 2017 and what we plan to do moving forward.
You Can Be Involved!
Are you a student in Telluride? Communities that Care has clubs at both Telluride High School and Telluride Middle School club.
If you are interested in helping us achieve our goal of establishing a permanent youth space, raising funds for fun, safe, and engaging youth-focused events, and learning how your voice can make a difference in our community, CTC is for you!
For more information, please call 970 708 7096 or contact Paul Reich at firstname.lastname@example.org
Funding for this coalition is provided through a grant from the Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment.