In partnership with your child’s school, Tri-County Health Network (TCHNetwork) is pleased to offer Skippy+, a school based dental program providing comprehensive dental care to your child. Our services bring dental care to your child so that she/he can spend more time in the classroom and less time traveling to a dentist!
The preventive dental visit takes about 30 minutes and gets your child back in the classroom quickly.
If you agree to have your child participate in Skippy+, our dental team will provide:
- Comprehensive Dental Exam
- Fluoride treatment
- Protective Sealants
- Free toothbrush, toothpaste and floss
- Education to your children about how to brush and floss
- Primary Restorative care: Fillings, Interim Temporary Restorations (ITR) and Silver Diamine Fluroide (SDF), when necessary
- Health insurance enrollment assistance
- Skippy is offered at no out of pocket costs to all families
- If you have dental insurance, we will bill for services just like other dental offices
- Dental care may have risks that are rare and minimal
- Information collected in this program will be kept private, unless required by law or to bill your insurance and will be shared only within the Skippy program
- If your child does not have health insurance. TCHNetwork will contact you to discuss potential health insurance options
- Participation is voluntary; this consent is valid for the entire school year, both fall and spring semesters, unless revoked by a parent or guardian
- Ask questions and have them answered to before and after signing the consent form
- Contact TCHNetwork at 970-708-7096 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interim Therapeutic Restoration Treatment
Benefits of receiving ITR:
• Interim Therapeutic Restoration (ITR) is a temporary filling that will stabilize teeth that have decay until there is further evaluation or treatment by a dentist.
• An ITR can prevent more decay or slow down tooth decay.
Summary of ITR placement:
• Tooth will be thoroughly cleaned
• Some decay may be left in the tooth
• A filling will be placed in the tooth
• This procedure is generally comfortable and pain free
• No local anesthetic is necessary
Risks of receiving ITR:
• There is a small possibility of feeling pain in the tooth after the procedure, but this should be temporary
Silver Diamine Fluoride Treatment
Facts for Consideration:
• Silver diamine fluoride (SDF) is a safe, non-invasive, FDA approved liquid that helps stop tooth decay.
• SDF treatment is recommended by our partner dentist and applied by a dentist or dental hygienist.
• A small amount of SDF is applied to the tooth area with decay.
• After it is applied the patient should not eat or drink for 60 minutes.
• The decayed area will stain black permanently, but healthy
tooth structure will not stain.
Benefits of Receiving SDF:
• Stops disease quickly
• Do not need to numb teeth
• No pain with application
Risk of Receiving SDF:
• The decayed area will permanently stain black
• Tooth-colored fillings and crowns may become discolored if SDF is applied to them
• A filling or crown may still be needed after the application of SDF
• If SDF is accidentally applied to the skin or gums a brown or white stain may appear that causes no harm. It cannot be washed off but will disappear in one to three weeks.
• Patient should not be treated with SDF if:
o The patient is allergic to silver
o The patient has painful sores or raw areas on the gum or anywhere in the mouth
Alternatives to SDF:
• Forgo any treatment, which may lead to continued decay and break down of decayed tooth
• Placement of fillings or crowns, extractions or referral to a specialist